The J-10 is a fourth generation multi-role combat aircraft designed, developed, and produced by Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation (CAIC) for the People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF). The J-10 first flew in 1998 and is capable of all-weather, day/night operation.
Th J-10 has canard wings (small wings at the front) and a delta-wing configuration with no tail wings. This is called a "tail-less canard delta" wing configuration and greatly increases the maneuverability of the aircraft, especially at high speeds.
The canopy of the J-10 is a two-piece bubble canopy (canopy juts out of fuselage and shaped like a bubble) that provides a 360 degree view.
Under the delta wings are 11 hard points (points on wing that can have bombs or fuel tanks attached) to which 6000 kg of equipment can be attached.
A 23 mm twin-barrel cannon is located underneath the port (left) side of the engine intake.
Pakistan has agreed to purchase 36 J-10's for its air force and delivery is scheduled for 2014-15. The new Pakistani J-10's will be designated JC-20s.
Serbia has also expressed interest for the J-10 when Serbian Defense Minister Dragan Šutanovac spoke favourably of the plane.
Possible relationship between Israeli Lavi...
There have been conflicting reports that the J-10's design was based off the cancelled Israeli Lavi (developed in the 1980's) as both have the same canard wing configuration. However, the J-9, a cancelled program of the 1960's that led to the J-10, also had a canard wing configuration.
The J in J-10 comes from the Chinese word Jian (歼), which, translated, means "Interceptor".
- Crew: 1 (basic), 2 (trainer variant)
- Length: 15.5 m (50 ft 10 in)
- Wingspan: 9.7 m (31 ft 10 in)
- Height: 4.78 m (15.7 ft)
- Wing area: 39 m² (419.8 ft²)
- Empty weight: 9,750 kg (21,495 lb )
- Loaded weight: 14,876 kg (32,797 lb)
- Useful load: 4,500 kg (9,900 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 19,277 kg (42,500 lb)
- Powerplant: 1× Saturn-Lyulka
-31FN or WS-10A Taihang turbofan AL
- Dry thrust: 79.43 kN / 89.17 kN (17,860 lbf / 20,050 lbf)
- Thrust with afterburner: 122.5 kN / 132 kN (27,557 lbf / 29,101 lbf)
- Maximum speed: Mach 1.9 at altitude, Mach 1.2 at sea level
- g-limits: +9/-3 g (+88/-29 m/s², +290/-97 ft/s²)
- Combat radius: 550 km (341 mi)
- Service ceiling: 18,000 m (59,055 ft)
- Wing loading: 335 kg/m² (69 lb/ft²)
- Thrust/weight: 0.89
- Guns: 1× 23mm twin-barrel cannon
- Hardpoints: 11 in total (6× under-wing, 5× under-fuselage) with a capacity of 6,000 kg (13,228 lb) external fuel and ordnance
- Rockets: 90 mm unguided rocket pods
- Air-to-air missiles: PL-8, PL-9, PL-11, PL-12
- Air-to-surface missiles: PJ-9, YJ-9K
- Bombs: laser-guided bombs (LT-2), glide bombs (LS-6) and unguided bombs
- Others: Up to 3 external fuel drop-tanks (1× under-fuselage, 2× under-wing) for extended range and loitering time
- NRIET KLJ-10 multi-mode fire-control radar
- Externally-mounted avionics pods:
- Type Hongguang-I infra-red search and track pod
- BM/KG300G self-protection jamming pod
- KZ900 electronic reconnaissance pod
- Blue Sky navigation/attack pod
- FILAT (Forward-looking Infra-red Laser Attack Targeting) pod